8.02.2006

August 2, 2006 - Getting Closer

I cannot believe that it is already August! I’m not ready for it to be August. I have barely more than 3 weeks until I compete in the biggest race of my life, and all I want right now is more time to get ready.
Sunday night I did my first time trial on the rowing machine since hurting my ankle. I tied my PR, exactly. I’d hoped to be much faster at this point, but a few weeks of pool work outs rather than erg work outs made gaining speed nearly impossible. I’m proud of the test, though, because it was very painful and I did not relent. The heat index outside was about 100 degrees, so it was a very trying task. I don’t recall my legs hurting as badly as they did after that piece in recent memory. It’s a good pain, if there can be such a thing.
Rehab goes very well. My trainers, Erin and Liz, have me doing some very challenging exercises. Erin said the improvement in my balance is remarkable. I can feel the change. My ankle is still sore a lot of the time, but there’s no more swelling and I feel like I’m 100% on the erg and on the water. Only two more days of physical therapy left to go. In some strange way, I think I’ll miss it. Luckily I’ll have a few other things coming up in the next few weeks to occupy my time and mind.
Apparently I’m too small. I’ve actually lost a little weight. Though it is really too late for me to put on any good pounds before England at this point, I’m still trying to keep calories flowing into my body at a ridiculous rate in order to keep myself from dropping any further. Even if I pick up a little fat, it can’t do anything but help me in such a short, explosive race where having power and momentum is key.
Saturday I’ll return to Wake to set up my room for the year and Monday I’ll fly back up to Philadelphia for another week with Jesse over at Princeton before reporting to our final camp on August 11. I am starting to get a bit nervous, but I’m also increasing the level of my focus. Perhaps reality is just now finally setting in or perhaps the acceleration in the action and training is just hyping me up. Regardless, Jesse, Jen, Aerial, Ryan, and Karen now occupy more of my thoughts than ever, and there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t visualize at least part of our races.
I really want to win. That might seem like a silly thing to say, everyone desires to be victorious, of course, but I think there’s a difference between wanting it on an intellectual level and deciding you want it so bad that you’re willing to make the sacrifices when the time comes to get it. There is no reason that we shouldn’t be in contention for gold, and so gold is what I want. If it takes digging deeper than I’ve ever dug, fighting harder than I’ve ever fought, and pushing myself closer to the precipice of destruction than I’ve ever dared in previous races, so be it. This is our chance to be champions, and not just any champions: we’re pushing for a world title. That’s awesome! My heart is beating faster just thinking about it. Yes, I’d like more time to train and get stronger, but I’m very ready. U-S-A!