8.02.2006

July 29 - Making Up for Lost Time

I have been a bad, bad blogger, and I’m sorry. Generally one would think that a journal would only go silent when there is nothing going on, but for me it is the opposite. The past 2 weeks have been extraordinarily busy, so let me get you up to date.

Quite simply, Princeton was awe inspiring. I just felt faster being there surrounded by more than 100 years of rowing history as well as the current national team. All of them, including the women, are bigger than me. It’s a bit intimidating.
Princeton’s boat house is gorgeous. There really is no comparison between their resources and those I am used to at Wake Forest. It makes me a little jealous, but also hopeful that someday I will be able to contribute to the Demon Deacons having similar facilities.
Jesse and I definitely got some good work done in the pair. It was much easier than I thought, to be honest. I expected that, as a smaller boat, the 2-person shell would be more tippy and harder to set than the boats I’m used to rowing, but I think we handled it nicely. Being in such a small craft really emphasizes the finer aspects of technique, and I felt like we grew through the experience immensely. It was also fun just to get to bond with Jesse and to get a glimpse into his world. We’re already planning for me to go up again on the 7th to do a few more pair rows before reporting to our final team camp on the 11th.
Our team practices in Philadelphia were also good, though I did get a little frustrated at points. Basically, I thought I knew how to row before I went to camp. I thought wrong. After switching to the starboard side of the boat from a life-long career as a port, I feel like I’ve become proficient. Unfortunately, there is a huge difference between proficiency and perfection, and perfection is the goal.
I hate it when I feel like my mental state affects my rowing, but I was certainly in that predicament for our last two rows because I was personally so unhappy with my rowing. I did not ever really get upset with the rest of the boat, but I just couldn’t force my hands and legs to do exactly what I wanted and needed them to do. Whenever I do not have complete control over my body and my technique, I get annoyed with myself.
Fortunately, I think the worst is behind me and the rest of the boat. We’re coming together beautifully as people off the water, which will bond us into a very mentally stable unit on the water. Crews that live and die as one usually win. If we can continue to lose our individual selves in the overall personality of the boat, we will be a force in England.