7.11.2006

July 11, 2006 - Turning the Corner

What an interesting week it has been. I bought furniture for school, saved my 2-year-old nephew Tyler from choking to death on a dime, spent about $700 on textbooks for my upcoming fall semester, and watched the SpongeBob SquarePants movie. It’s all kind of random, but it reminds me that life, school, and family go on as usual even in the midst of training distractions.
I feel 100% better than I did at this time last week, which is good since I fly out in 6 days to spend 10 days training, first at Princeton with Jesse and later with the whole boat in Philadelphia. The extreme pain I was feeling in my ankle, it seems, was not caused by the actual sprain, but by an irritated nerve. Dr. Diorio says that it is not permanently damaged and that I can go ahead and work out on it, it will just hurt a lot. We could do a round of steroids to possibly relieve the pain, but that would be a huge hassle given the drug testing situation.
Fortunately , the nerve pain has decreased dramatically in the past few days, thanks largely to me staying off the erg and working out in a pool. This brings me to an interesting story:
While at rehab last week, Erin and I were talking about how it would be great if I could find a pool to work out in for several days to stay off the ankle. Fortunately for me, one of Erin’s other patients, Bonnie Kroll, was within ear shot. It turns out that Bonnie and her husband Bob just recently moved to Pickerington and their new house has a beautiful in ground pool that she offered up for my use whenever I wanted. Bonnie made sure to give me her phone number and, throughout the week, I used her awesome pool (even bringing the family along for a swim at the Kroll’s insistence). Once again, I’m amazed at God’s providence and people’s kind generosity throughout this whole training and rehabilitation process. The list of those to whom I have promised signed photos of me in my team garb grows longer.
Tonight, finally, I will jump on an ergometer again. It seems like forever since my last row, so I’m actually looking forward to it. I’m sure that will change about 5 minutes in when I remember how exciting erging isn’t.
Anyway, my spirits are up and I’m really excited about getting on the water with my team next week. The championships are rapidly approaching, and it’s good to feel like I’m finally back on track to perform at my best.