7.01.2006

July 1, 2006 - Rehab

One of my housemates last year, Courtney, spent her undergrad days playing soccer with the NCAA powerhouse UNC Tar Heels under the brilliant coach Anson Dorance. She had the misfortune of seriously injuring her ankle during one of those years and, thus, she spent a lot of time in ice baths. I don’t know how she did it. No matter what mental gimmick you try to use or how you try to distract yourself, 15 minutes of ice on the skin always hurts, at least it does for me!
I’d like to say that my ankle rehabilitation is going very well, and I think it probably is, but my ankle is more sore today than it was Friday, and it was more sore Friday than it was Thursday. My physical therapist told me that every day is a new day when it comes to injuries like this and, so far, her words have proven to be correct.
In any case, I’m working hard. I got back on the erg with an ankle brace on Wednesday and did about 40 minutes. Thursday I got permission to row without the brace, and I did another long, slow piece that actually felt pretty good. I feel like I’ve got about 90-95% of my flexibility and about 85-90% of my power back already; I just have to work harder than normal to get to that power level. I’m going to stick with these light pieces this week, but I’m going to try to get back on the regular work out schedule next week.
I told my coach and my team mates about my injury on Thursday and Friday once I was pretty sure that I’d have a full and complete recovery. My coach took the news well and trusts me to be smart about getting healed up. I’m sure the credentials of my doctor helped ease her mind. Jesse and Aerial were not overly concerned, either, though they both forbade me from walking up and down steps until after our race.
In other positive news, we got scores from a recent race between the Netherlands and the UK. Neither seemed especially blazing, and I think we can catch them if we row well. Karen got to see both crews up close and personal in Switzerland. It’s her opinion that they tried to race at too high of a stroke rating and her plan, for now, is to keep us at a lower rating where we can better engage our full power. Jesse and I talked about it, and we’re really motivated. To know that the medal is out there and that we’ve got just as good of a chance at getting it as every other crew is very encouraging. In just about 8 weeks, we’ll get our shot.