8.18.2006

August 18 - 2006 - On the Road Again

Well, that pivotal moment I’ve been waiting for, the one where I realize that this is actually happening, has finally arrived. I could feel it coming on—my nerves have been acting up and my appetite has been decreasing—but now it’s full on. Wow.
After a great practice this morning, tonight we took our second to last row in the United States in front of a crowd of supporters and then attended a send-off party in St. Joe’s boat house where we’ve been training all week. It was really nice to see some of those who have made this program possible. It also drives home the point that the hopes and dreams of more than just the 9 of us on the team rest on the strength of our oars. “No pressure,” they say… Yeah right.
The plan for the morning is to take a light row and then to get to the airport to battle the new security requirements. With several wheelchairs and prosthetics to get onto the plane, it will be a huge ordeal and we don’t want to risk missing our departure and getting held up here in Philly.
Just to add a little adventure, I think I tweaked my shoulder a bit during this morning’s practice. I’ve been trying to blend better into the style of this particular boat by moving away from the three part legs-back-arms stroke and using one where I finish with my legs and hands at the same time. I think it’s just stressing out the small support muscles that aren’t used to handling the different load. As I write, I’m sitting with an ice pack tucked behind my back and a good dose of Advil flowing through my veins. I’m positive that will be enough to get me through.
It’s been a good week in Philadelphia and we’re heading out feeling good. One more smooth, swing-filled row tomorrow and I think we’ll cruise into England feeling strong and prepared. It’s probably impossible to feel absolutely ready for these kinds of events. It seems like there is always one more thing you’d like to work on cleaning up before the big day. We’ve done all we can, though, and, frankly, we’ve done a lot. Over the course of this summer, we’ve become a true crew. We care about each other, we’re committed and focused to our country and to our boat, and I couldn’t ask for anything more.