6.14.2006

May 31, 2006 (Happy Birthday to Me)

It is my birthday; today I am 24 years old. It’s strange because this seems like a rather unimportant year in terms of social significance, but for some reason 2-4 makes me feel a lot older, like more is expected of me now. I guess that fits perfectly with the task at hand, as tomorrow I will be beginning one of the greatest rowing tests of my life.
US Rowing is hosting its first ever selection camp for the National Adaptive Team. I am here in Philadelphia to test myself against other athletes who have overcome not only the sport of rowing, but also the difficulty of a disability as well. The goal: to represent the USA at the FISA World Championships in Eton, England this August and to set the tone for the rapidly approaching Beijing Paralympics of 2008.
Like me, I know that many of the athletes here rose through the mainstream ranks of our sport and so “adaptive rowing,” promises to be a new experience for all of us. Unfortunately, the title “adaptive” makes many instantly lower their opinion of the team because they assume that we couldn’t cut it in the non-adaptive world. Already I can tell that some people question the legitimacy of our athletic prowess. More than once while talking about this camp with people at home or at school others have mistakenly referred to the “Special Olympics” when intending to talk about the “Paralympics.” It’s frustrating to have my efforts marginalized like that, but then I’m used to having that done to me my entire life. I have always maintained that I have to win in order to even be credited with the ability to participate. I suspect that the same is true of many of those whom I’ll be meeting tomorrow, and so I expect these to be some of the toughest-minded athletes I’ve ever encountered.
To be honest, I have many questions running around in my mind. I question my own strength, though I’ve been preparing for this for almost a year. I question whether I belong here. I question whether we will gain the respect of our colleagues of our sport or if we’ll be seen as some charity operation.
Fortunately, all those questions will be answered soon enough. Jocelyn Tarbox is a close friend and fellow rower from Wake Forest. Her family has graciously allowed me to live with them this week while the camp is going on. Tomorrow, Joce will drive me down to boat house row to the St. Joseph’s boat house where we’ll find out how tough I am, how strong our national team will be, and how seriously US Rowing takes its adaptive program.